Tate Britain - Aubrey Beardsley
Exhibition Dates: 4 March - 25 May 2020
Aubrey Beardsley shocked and delighted late-Victorian London with his sinuous black and white drawings. He explored the erotic and the elegant, the humorous and grotesque, winning admirers around the world with his distinctive style.
Spanning seven years, this exhibition will cover Beardsley’s intense and prolific career as a draughtsman and illustrator, cut short by his untimely death from tuberculosis, aged 25. Beardsley’s charismatic, enigmatic persona played a part in the phenomenon that he and his art generated, so much so that Max Beerbohm dubbed the 1890s the ‘Beardsley Period’.
This will be the first exhibition dedicated to Beardsley at Tate since 1923 and the largest display of his original drawings in Europe since the seminal 1966 exhibition at the V&A, which triggered a Beardsley revival. Over 200 works include his celebrated illustrations for Le Morte d’Arthur, Lysistrata and Oscar Wilde’s Salomé. It will also show artworks that were key inspirations for Beardsley, including Japanese scrolls and watercolours by Edward Burne-Jones and Gustave Moreau.
Aubrey Beardsley Ave Atque Vale 1896 Private Collection.
Aubrey Beardsley The Climax 1893 (published 1907). Stephen Calloway.
Please check website for details.
Offer expiry date
National Rail 2FOR1 Terms & Conditions
- Only two persons allowed per voucher, unless offer states otherwise. Please print out as many of the vouchers that you require for your party size.
- You must produce two valid National Rail tickets as evidence of travelling by train to London or to the attraction destination - most train tickets display the or symbol. National Rail issued tickets include Off-Peak, Super Off-Peak, Travelcard, Advance, Anytime and Season Tickets. *
- London Underground issued tickets (including Travelcards) and Heathrow Express are NOT valid and will not be accepted at any attraction.
- Oyster Cards are NOT accepted (including Travelcard on Oyster).
- For E-Daytrain tickets please present your phone message and supporting printed ticket. You will also be asked to produce photo ID.
- Offers are valid until 31 December 2020 unless otherwise stated.
- Amended or defaced vouchers will not be accepted.
- Acceptance of this voucher is strictly subject to the establishment's own terms & conditions and deemed accepted on admission.
- Prices are subject to change without notice.
- Offers may be withdrawn or subject to change without notice.
- Exchange or sale of this voucher is prohibited. Not for resale. Voucher value 0.0001p.
- Special terms & conditions may apply and will be stated clearly within this website.
- Offer valid on full price adult tickets only. An adult is 16 years or over.
- In the event of a full price and concessionary admission ticket being purchased together, the higher price ticket must be paid for.
- The voucher must be used at the time of purchase and is not valid for any pre-booked tickets (unless specified otherwise).
- The voucher cannot be used with any other promotion, offer, individual or group discount.
The information you are supplying will be sorted electronically.
* If you are making a one way journey or your ticket is valid for one day, you can use your National Rail tickets to get the offer with this voucher only on the day of travel.
If you are making a return journey, you can use your National Rail tickets to get the offer with this voucher any day on or between your outward and return journeys. For example, if you arrived on Thursday and will return on Sunday, your tickets will be considered valid for offers on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Please refer to our FAQs for further information.