The Painted Hall at Old Royal Naval College
Immerse yourself in Britain’s Sistine Chapel and discover a spectacular Greenwich riverside setting. Steeped in over 500 years of history, the Old Royal Naval College is the centrepiece of Maritime Greenwich, offering over 18 acres of beautiful architecture and grounds to explore.
Originally the site of Greenwich Palace and birthplace to Henry VIII and Elizabeth I, the baroque buildings standing today were designed by Sir Christopher Wren as the Royal Hospital for Seamen. Later it became home to the Royal Naval College and is now open to the public as the Old Royal Naval College.
The magnificent Painted Hall, housed in one of the grounds’ striking domed buildings, is an epic 18th century masterpiece. Covering 4,000 sq meters, you’ll be able to learn about its fascinating meaning, and its celebration of Britain’s naval power and prosperity at the time, and the story of how it took James Thornhill 19 years to paint it.
Recently reopened following a major conservation project, tickets for the Painted Hall include use of a multimedia guide (available in 7 languages), expert talks throughout the day, hands-on exhibits and free kids activities. Plus tickets include the option to take a guided tour of the whole of the Old Royal Naval College and the chance to see the Victoria Skittle Alley where you can have a go at getting a strike.
The Chapel, Visitor Centre and Grounds are free to visit, plus kids go free for Painted Hall tickets.
Please check website for details.
Offer expiry date
National Rail 2FOR1 Terms & Conditions
- Only two persons allowed per voucher, unless offer states otherwise. Please print out as many of the vouchers that you require for your party size.
- You must produce two valid National Rail tickets as evidence of travelling by train to London or to the attraction destination - most train tickets display the or symbol. National Rail issued tickets include Off-Peak, Super Off-Peak, Travelcard, Advance, Anytime and Season Tickets. *
- London Underground issued tickets (including Travelcards) and Heathrow Express are NOT valid and will not be accepted at any attraction.
- Oyster Cards are NOT accepted (including Travelcard on Oyster).
- For E-Daytrain tickets please present your phone message and supporting printed ticket. You will also be asked to produce photo ID.
- Offers are valid until 31 December 2020 unless otherwise stated.
- Amended or defaced vouchers will not be accepted.
- Acceptance of this voucher is strictly subject to the establishment's own terms & conditions and deemed accepted on admission.
- Prices are subject to change without notice.
- Offers may be withdrawn or subject to change without notice.
- Exchange or sale of this voucher is prohibited. Not for resale. Voucher value 0.0001p.
- Special terms & conditions may apply and will be stated clearly within this website.
- Offer valid on full price adult tickets only. An adult is 16 years or over.
- In the event of a full price and concessionary admission ticket being purchased together, the higher price ticket must be paid for.
- The voucher must be used at the time of purchase and is not valid for any pre-booked tickets (unless specified otherwise).
- The voucher cannot be used with any other promotion, offer, individual or group discount.
The information you are supplying will be sorted electronically.
* If you are making a one way journey or your ticket is valid for one day, you can use your National Rail tickets to get the offer with this voucher only on the day of travel.
If you are making a return journey, you can use your National Rail tickets to get the offer with this voucher any day on or between your outward and return journeys. For example, if you arrived on Thursday and will return on Sunday, your tickets will be considered valid for offers on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Please refer to our FAQs for further information.