Store your journey on your mobile device
Want to avoid queueing for tickets at the station? We now offer mobile train tickets (m-tickets) on selected routes. An m-ticket is simply a train ticket stored on your mobile device: that could be an Anytime, Off-Peak, Super Off-Peak or Advance ticket.
How to buy a mobile ticket
You can buy mobile tickets online from our website or the EMR app.
Once purchased, they’ll appear in your ticket wallet on the app – so you need to download the app first.
- Open the buy tickets form and enter your journey details
- Select your preferred train/s
- Under ‘How to get your ticket’ select ‘Mobile’ as the delivery option
- If ‘Mobile’ isn’t given as an option here, m-tickets aren’t available on your chosen route yet
- Make your payment
- Log into the app – your m-ticket will appear in the ticket wallet about 10 minutes after booking
- Before you travel, download and activate your m-ticket – you’ll now have a barcode to scan at the ticket gates and show during your journey
Once activated, you’ll see that your m-ticket is in two parts: one showing the journey details, and one with your ticket barcode.
Mobile tickets – the rules:
- Be sure to download and activate your m-ticket in the app before heading to the ticket gate – you’ll need a data signal to download it
- Once activated, your ticket will show a barcode you can scan at the ticket gate
- We may ask to see the payment card you used to buy the ticket, as well as some ID – this means you cannot buy an m-ticket for somebody unless you’re travelling with them
- M-tickets can’t be exchanged or refunded once activated
- Make sure your phone is charged before travelling
- If you lose your phone or it stops working, you must buy another ticket
You can’t use a mobile ticket on the London underground. If you are booking a journey which includes some time on the underground, the mobile ticket option will not be shown.
The fare, validity and terms and conditions of your mobile ticket are the same as the equivalent paper ticket.