Trains to Leicester
Discover one of the UK’s most diverse cities
From the medieval charms of the Old Town or the cosmopolitan buzz of the city centre, Leicester has something for everyone. Discover its diverse range of attractions, and useful travel information.
Getting here by train is quick and easy. Our intercity services from London to Sheffield and Nottingham stop at Leicester – with a journey time of just over an hour from London. And it's the starting point for regional services across our network.
Book Direct - Unbeatable Fares - No Booking Fees
Save up to 30% when you buy in advance.
Things to do in Leicester
Leicester is a great choice for a city break, or an educational day out. Uncover history at the King Richard III Visitor Centre, prepare for lift off at the National Space Centre, or mix science, history and art at the New Walk Museum & Art Gallery.
There are plenty of cultural spots, too. You can hardly miss the spectacular structure of the Curve Theatre, which puts on many original and touring productions. Or, see big-name concerts at the impressive De Montfort Hall – a local institution which has hosted some of the biggest icons in music over the last 100 years.
Leicester is also excellent for shopping. You’ll find an array of small boutiques and independent shops at the Lanes, and all your favourite high street brands in the city centre. Head to Haymarket Shopping Centre for over 60 major stores.
Popular trains to Leicester
- From London – check trains and buy tickets
- From Nottingham – check trains and buy tickets
- From Sheffield – check trains and buy tickets
There are up to five trains an hour running to Leicester from London, Nottingham and Sheffield, and regular direct services from Derby, Lincoln and beyond.
Planning your travel in advance? You can buy Advance fares up to 12 weeks before you travel to save more on your train tickets. Travelling as a group of three or more? There are group discounts available too.
Leicester station facilities
Leicester train station has everything needed for a simple, stress-free journey.
- Fully accessible – wheelchair access, assistance to and from platforms, and hearing loops available
- Food and drink – there are plenty of places to refuel, with coffee shops, bars and shops in the station
- Parking – the station car park, located on nearby Fox Street, has over 500 spaces
- Station lounge – relax in the First Class Lounge at the south end of platform 3/4, open to all First Class ticket holders
- WiFi access – there's free WiFi across the station
- Local connections – to Syston, Sileby and Melton Mowbray. Also a connecting station for services to Cambridge or Ely