Refund your ticket
Owing to the developing coronavirus situation offshore, our web support and telesales team offices are currently closed meaning we cannot make changes to bookings or issue refunds over the phone. In most instances, including for Advance Tickets, you can request a refund by logging into your account online.
If you are unable to request your refund online you can do so by emailing us at [email protected] please be sure to include your booking reference and journey details your email. For season tickets please email [email protected] . Because of the high demand, it may take up to 28 days to receive your refund.
What to do if you can’t travel due to COVID-19
We are continuing to closely follow official advice from the Government and ask our customers to do the same.
That means you should only travel if it is absolutely essential. This is limited to:
- Getting urgent supplies, such as food or medicine
- Supporting older or vulnerable people
- Travelling to and from work if you are an identified key worker
No one else should be travelling at this time.
You can get a refund on all tickets purchased before 23rd March 2020 regardless of the restrictions on the ticket.
We'll also give you a full refund if your train journey is delayed or cancelled part way through and you decide to return to your original station instead.
How to apply for a refund
To claim a refund you will need to return your unused ticket to the place you bought it from. Please be aware that we are not able to process refunds over the phone.
- If you bought your ticket on our website or app: If you have not yet printed/collected a paper ticket you should Log into your online account and follow the instructions on the 'My account' screen. If you are unable to cancel your booking this way you may request a refund by emailing our team at [email protected]
If you've already collected paper tickets, you'll need to post these back to us too (EMR Refunds, PO Box 23972, Edinburgh, EH3 5DA) with a covering letter outlining your journey.
- At our station (from a ticket office or machine): We understand that you're most likely unable to return your ticket to the station to obtain a refund. Instead, please email us at [email protected] with a photograph or scan of your unused ticket, cut in half with Covid19 written across in ink. Be sure to avoid writing over the price of the ticket. Please include a contact number should we need to get in touch. This will then be sent to the ticket office on your behalf who will process this for you. Due to the high level of requests we are currently processing, this make take up to 28 days to show on your account.
- Telephone booking team: post your ticket back to us (EMR Refunds, PO Box 23972, Edinburgh, EH3 5DA) with a covering letter outlining your journey
- Smartcards: log into your online account and follow the instructions.
- Other train operating companies: if you bought your ticket from another train operating company or retailer, contact them directly
If you're posting tickets to us, we recommend sending them via Recorded Delivery to ensure they arrive safely.
We have waived restictions on refunding Advance tickets. This means that you can apply for a refund in the same way as other tickets as outlined above.
Season ticket refunds
You'll need to buy a new ticket for your journey before you travel. You can claim a refund for the extra ticket twice within a 12-month period, but we will charge a £10 admin fee the second time. Apply for a refund at the ticket office where you bought your Season ticket (you'll need to bring your Season ticket, photocard, and the replacement tickets).
We can issue duplicate monthly or longer Season tickets at the ticket office where you bought your original ticket. We need to make sure your lost Season ticket isn't used fraudulently so may ask you a few questions when you request a new one.
If you don't need your Season ticket anymore, you may be able to get a refund on the unused portion. Return it to place you bought it from. Log into your online account and follow the instructions on the 'My account' screen if you bought your ticket online or have a Smartcard Season ticket.
Because Season tickets offer significant savings, you may only receive a small refund or nothing at all. For example, an Annual Season ticket gives you 52 weeks of travel for the price of 40 – so it has no refund value after the 40th week. To claim a refund there must be:
- Weekly Season: at least three days remaining
- Monthly or longer: at least seven days remaining
- Annual Season: at least 12 weeks remaining
Read full details of your rights and how we handle Season ticket refunds in the National Rail Conditions of Travel
If you have any questions about claiming a refund or making changes to your ticket, please contact us: