Refund your ticket
Owing to the developing Coronavirus situation, we cannot make changes to bookings or issue refunds over the phone. In most instances, including for Advance Tickets, you can request a refund by logging into your account online. See below for more information.
What to do if you can’t travel due to COVID-19
You can get a refund on all tickets purchased before 23rd March 2020 regardless of the restrictions on the ticket. Requests for refunds must be made within 56 days of the ticket expiry date.
We'll also give you a full refund if your train journey is delayed or cancelled part way through and you decide to return to your original station instead.
How to apply for a refund
To claim a refund you will need to return your unused ticket to the place you bought it from. Please be aware that we are not able to process refunds over the phone.
- If you bought your ticket on our website or app: If you have not yet printed/collected a paper ticket you should Log into your online account and follow the instructions on the 'My account' screen. If you are unable to cancel your booking this way you may request a refund by emailing our team at [email protected]
If you have chosen to have your ticket(s) sent to you by post, or if you have collected your ticket(s) from a station, please send an email to [email protected] This must include a photograph of the tickets (for this journey only) cut in half, as well as your booking reference number.
- At our station (from a ticket office or machine): We understand that you're most likely unable to return your ticket to the station to obtain a refund. Instead, please email us at [email protected] with a photograph or scan of your unused ticket, cut in half with Covid19 written across in ink. Be sure to avoid writing over the price of the ticket. Please include a contact number should we need to get in touch. This will then be sent to the ticket office on your behalf who will process this for you. Due to the high level of requests we are currently processing, this make take up to 56 days to show on your account.
- Telephone booking team: If you have chosen to have your ticket(s) sent to you by post, or if you have collected your ticket(s) from a station, please send an email to [email protected] This must include a photograph of the tickets (for this journey only) cut in half, as well as your booking reference number.
If you have not yet collected your tickets you can request a refund by emailing your booking confirmation reference to [email protected]
- Smartcards: Please request a refund by emailing your smartcard number and photocard number (for season ticket holders) to: [email protected]
- Other train operating companies: if you bought your ticket from another train operating company or retailer, contact them directly
If you're posting tickets to us, we recommend sending them via Recorded Delivery to ensure they arrive safely.
Advance tickets booked before 0700 on Monday 23rd March for travel beyond this date may be refunded with no admin fee applied. Advance tickets purchased after this time are not refundable. You can apply for a refund in the same way as other tickets as outlined above.
Season ticket refunds
You'll need to buy a new ticket for your journey before you travel. You can claim a refund for the extra ticket twice within a 12-month period, but we will charge a £10 admin fee the second time. Apply for a refund at the ticket office where you bought your Season ticket (you'll need to bring your Season ticket, photocard, and the replacement tickets).
We can issue duplicate monthly or longer Season tickets at the ticket office where you bought your original ticket. We need to make sure your lost Season ticket isn't used fraudulently so may ask you a few questions when you request a new one.
If you don't need your Season ticket anymore, you may be able to get a refund on the unused portion. Return it to place you bought it from. Log into your online account and follow the instructions on the 'My account' screen if you bought your ticket online or have a Smartcard Season ticket.
We can generally give you a refund if there is:
- Seven days (or more) left on a Season Ticket valid between one and ten months
- Three days (or more) left on a weekly Season Ticket
- For an annual Season Ticket, there may not be any monetary value left if it is surrendered in the last couple of months of validity. Annual Season tickets have no refund value after 10 months and 12 days, although they are still valid for travel until the expiry date and you can continue to enjoy any Gold Card benefits along with it
You can use the handy calculation tool here to work out the value of your refund.
If you have less than the minimum remaining duration you will be unable to claim a refund, please do not send your season ticket to us. Refer to National Rail Conditions of Travel for more information.
We understand that many people are following Government advice and working from home. We are able to offer refunds on season tickets purchased online or at the station. Don't worry if you have already stopped commuting and have not yet applied for a refund, we will calculate refunds based on the day you stopped travelling, backdated as far as 17th March 2020 for requests made before 11th May 2020. Requests made after 11th May 2020 will be backdated up to 56 days.
If you purchased your season ticket on our website, please email us at [email protected] for a refund. In the email please include the date of which you have surrendered your ticket to enable us to match it within our records.
If you purchased your season ticket from a ticket office we understand that you're most likely unable to return your ticket to the station to obtain a refund. Instead, please email us at [email protected] with a photograph or scan of your unused ticket, cut in half with Covid19 written across in ink and your photocard. Be sure to avoid writing over the price of the ticket. Please include a contact number should we need to get in touch. In the email please include the date of which you have surrendered your ticket to enable us to match it within our records. This will then be sent to the ticket office on your behalf who will process this for you. Due to the high level of requests we are currently processing, this make take up to 56 days to show on your account.
Read full details of your rights and how we handle Season ticket refunds in the National Rail Conditions of Travel
Railcards & National Rail Travel Vouchers
If you have a Rail Travel Voucher which expires between 17th March and 16th September 2020 it can be extended by 6 Months. You don't need to do anything right now, hold on to your voucher to use at a later date.
All train companies are working together to understand if it is possible to extend expired railcards. More information will be available soon.
First Class - Catering reduction concessions
If you had a First Class ticket and did not receive our usual offer, please contact our Customer Relations team, with a copy of your tickets, the details of your journey, and your preferred payment method (for BACS payments, please advise your account number, sort-code and branch. For PayPal, please provide your associated PayPal email address and account name). We’ll be happy to compensate you. Our contact options are available here.
If you have any questions about claiming a refund or making changes to your ticket, please contact us: