Great British Rail Sale - Now ended
Missed our sale?
Book in advance, pay less. You can save up to 30% when you book in advance. Find out more about Advance tickets.
Rail Sale fares are not available on EMR routes on the following exclusion days; 30 April, 1 May, 2 May across all routes. They will not be available on 7 and 8 May on our Intercity and Connect routes.
Our blog is fuelled with ideas to get you out and about. Our network is home to some of the UK's best-known attractions and locations.
Discover our popular destinations
Our destination guides give you everything you need to know about visiting some of the country’s top destinations, from booking your train tickets to finding the best deals on local attractions.
Great British Rail Sale FAQ's
Great British Rail Sale tickets will be available from 10.00 on 19th April – 23.59 on 2nd May 2022 for travel between 25th April until 27th May 2022. Tickets must be purchased a minimum of one day in advance of the date of travel.
The discount will be available on selected Advance tickets. Where a participating train company does not offer Advance tickets, Off-Peak tickets may be offered as an alternative.
The Great British Rail Sale tickets will need to be booked at least one day in advance. When they’re
gone, they’re gone.
Unfortunately, First Class upgrades will not be available for Rail Sale tickets on EMR
Great British Rail Sale tickets will be available on a first-come, first-served basis but will not be limited to one per person.
Great British Rail Sale tickets are not available on all routes, are limited and subject to availability
and exclusions. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, it could be that the journey you’re
looking for is either already sold out or not included in the sale. View tickets here.
Yes, your ticket can be used for whatever journey purpose you wish, but you are only able to
travel on the date and train shown on your ticket or for the journey you booked.
If the train you purchased a ticket for is cancelled or is delayed and you still decide to travel,
special arrangements will be made to accommodate you on another train (although a seat cannot be
guaranteed). If you choose not to travel, you may apply for a refund on completely unused tickets
and you will not be charged an administration fee.
Great British Rail Sale tickets are valid only on the date and train shown on the ticket or for the
journey you booked.
Great British Rail Sale tickets will be available on train companies operating in England, excluding
London Overground, TfL Rail, Merseyrail, Lumo, Gatwick Express, Stansted Express and Heathrow
Express. Great British Rail Sale tickets are valid only on the date and train shown on the ticket.
Pricing information and refunds
Great British Rail Sale tickets are valid only on the date and train shown on the ticket and are nonrefundable. As part of the Book with Confidence scheme, you can amend your date of travel fee free up until 6pm the day before you travel. Find out more about Book with Confidence.
Customers can apply to see if they’re eligible for Delay Repay in times of disruption. If you choose
not to travel at the last minute in the event of train delays, you should apply for Delay Repay. You
can find information on Delay Repay here.
Yes, Railcard customers will be able to save an additional 1/3 off a discounted ticket providing
the Railcard discount is eligible on the chosen journey.
- Normal Advance ticket T&C’s apply. To learn more about Advance tickets, read the full National Rail terms and conditions for Advance tickets.
- Tickets are limited and subject to availability and exclusions.
- Book between 10.00 on 19/04/22 and 23.59 on 02/05/22 for travel between 25/04/22 and 27/05/22.
- Promotional fares will be available on EMR Intercity, EMR Connect and Liverpool – Norwich routes.
- Promotional fares will not be available on any journey where Advance tickets are not available to purchase.
- Promotional fares are not available on the Nottingham- Skegness route.
- There will be at least 90,000 Standard class discounted EMR tickets made available through the whole travel period.
- Discount is calculated based on 50% off EMR's most commonly sold Advance price level between 1 January 2022 and 28 February 2022, rounded down to the nearest 10p. Actual savings vs regular Advance prices may vary depending on the journey being booked.
- Exclusion days will apply. Rail Sale fares are not available on EMR routes on the following exclusion days; 30 April, 1 May, 2 May across all routes. They will not be available on 7 and 8 May on our Intercity and Connect routes.
- Promotional ticket availability may be withdrawn at any time at EMR's discretion.
- Tickets are only available up to 23:59 the day before departure.
- Tickets are only available in Standard Class.